Posted on: January 8, 2021
System Engineer Job Description
The Engineer III will apply a variety of infrastructure experience
to designing, implementing and testing new business solutions,
hardware refreshes and configurations enhancements. The person in
this role will work very closely with software development teams,
production operations team and support groups to meet business and
technical demands. This person will be able to apply virtualization
experience, network design and storage concepts to develop designs
and proposals for infrastructure changes with high availability in
- Creation/Deployment of VMs using VMWare, building and
integrating systems based of business requirements, and working
with different teams to validate interfaces.
- Maintenance and monitoring of development & testing equipment
running Red Hat Linux. Troubleshooting with development teams,
making OS changes, testing changes and documenting changes for hand
off to production teams.
- Meet with internal & external clients to gather technical
requirements for new engineering requirements, document technical
proposals, and be able to review with team in a clear and concise
- Responsible for changes, validation and deployment of
functionality of enterprise level DNS infrastructure Build and
modify Ansible jobs to provision new RHEL systems via Satellite;
setup other OS automations to streamline repetitive administration
via Satellite 6 system.
- Keep abreast of latest changes, vulnerabilities and feature
availability for Red Hat Linux, Red Hat Directory Services,
Atlassian, Gluster, Splunk, VMWare, vCenter, NGNIX.
- Perform hardware and software installations, upgrades, and
troubleshooting of OS, provisioning, email and web-based
- Perform resource monitoring, performance tuning and scaling of
infrastructure as needed on RHEL systems.
- Customize scripts to kickstart RHEL systems; setup other
automations to streamline repetitive administration.
- Configure, monitor, and manage physical storage and file
systems on LINUX servers.
- Maintain and apply changes necessary on 2-factor authentication
platform and apply understanding of SAML.
- Work closely with application support & security teams to
maintain up-to-date patch levels and application specific feature
- Document Linux configurations and procedures participate in
environment planning meetings and communicate environment
requirements to management.
- Participate in on-call rotation and work to resolve critical
- Bachelor's degree in MIS, CS or related field
- 3-5 years' experience with RHEL versions 7/8, CentOS, or Fedora
system administration in an enterprise environment
- 2-4 years' experience supporting web, NGINX, HAProxy and email
servers in an ISP environment preferred.
- 1-2 years' experience working with and support VMWare & vCenter
- Ability to multitask and or related support mechanisms for
- Understanding of PHP, NGINX, HAProxy, 2-factor authentication,
sssd, firewalld, etc.
- Internet server protocols and utilities (DNS, SMTP, POP, IMAP,
HTTP/S, TLS, S/FTP, TCP/IP, SSH, iptables)
- Advanced enterprise level skills in shell scripting and
programming with vi editor.
- Knowledge of enterprise Technologies (Active Batch Scheduling
Software, NFS, Kickstart, RedHat Satellite 6, Active Directory,
RHEL 8 features, performance analysis tools such as AppDynamics,
- Knowledge of internet server protocols and utilities (DNS,
SMTP, POP, IMAP, HTTP/S, TLS, S/FTP, TCP/IP, SSH,
- Experience with troubleshooting and problem-solving skills with
little supervision (email, network, hardware, OS).
- Understanding of RHEL and/or software-based cluster
configurations and concepts such as keepalived.
- Performance tuning and monitoring (Nagios, Cacti,
- Technical documentation skills.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent
- Working knowledge of Splunk, GlusterFS, NetApp, Cisco UCS
Keywords: Mediacom, Paterson , Systems Engineer, Other , Paterson, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!